Monday, August 08, 2005

August 8th, 2005

I have put in a request for regular preventative injections and found out it was denied today by insurance. They will not cover Betaseron without prior authorization or trial of Rebif or Avonex. I also finish my oral dose of steriods today and no improvement. I call back the Dr.'s office to see what is on tap now to treat my condition. They call me back and say that they recommend an IV treatment for 5 days of Solumedrol, 1gram over an hour. I wait for the home care nurse agency to call me back to schedule a set up time to put in the IV catheter.

2 comments:

Eriksgirl said...

If your insurance won't cover your medications, contact your Neuro and have him get the information to you from the drug company to get it at a reduced rate. They don't advertise that they do that, but I worked for a neurologist, and I know that they do it for certain people. It will require a little form filling out on your part and the doctors part. You might be able to call Rebif's MS Lifelines at 1-877-447-3243 or 877-44Rebif. www.mslifelines.com. They might be able to help you get a better price too. Make sure they know that your insurance won't cover it. Most likely by calling them, they will help you argue with your insurance company.

Sorry for more unsolicited advice!! I am usually not this bad! Promise!

Michelle said...

Eriksgirl,

They have covered the Rebif, so I am thankful for that. I'm just waiting for yet, another nurse *laughs hysterically* to come out. Somedays, do you just find things super funny? Today would be one of those days! Thanks so much for your advice and help and any advice sometimes is good advice!